[Qgis-developer] Dropping the "render" checkbox

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Feb 27 22:10:59 PST 2017

Il 28/02/2017 06:36, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> Was just chatting to Martin about this - and we both think it's time
> to drop the "render" checkbox from the status bar.
>
> This setting is a bit of a remnant from the pre-multithreaded
> rendering days. Now, there shouldn't be any benefit in switching it on
> ---- and if there is ----- there's a bug which we need to fix!
>
> There's not much code this saves, but it does help de-clutter the
> crowded status bar.
>
> Any objections?? Does anyone still need this checkbox?

I've seen it used for projects with many very slow layers (e.g. WMS),
but this can be done grouping layers and deactivating them; moreover,
currently it has an odd behaviour (it allows zooming without
refreshing). Sometimes people unknowingly activate it, and get puzzled
by the resulting behaviour.
So +1 for me removing it.

In general, it would be useful to ask our users who is using a specific
function, and why.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu