[Qgis-developer] QGIS3 theme?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Feb 28 01:07:39 PST 2017

Hi

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just note that we can ship a older icon "theme" and use the theme switcher
> feature which would allow people to change back if required.
>
> Default to the new one but ship a lagacy theme.  Have a look at Night
> Mapping to see how it's done.

​I would be -1 to do this - I think it is much better to have a consistent
message and instantly recognisable app in screenshots etc. Moving from the
1.x theme to the 2.x theme was long and painful and I think if there was a
lesson to be learned it was 'dont make multiple theme options otherwise
people will never migrate to the new one and we will end up maintaining two
themes".​

​Regards

Tim
​

> - Nathan
>
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks John for your note.
>>
>> Il 28/02/2017 06:44, John Hawkinson ha scritto:
>>
>> > If there is a real value-add in the interface, OK. (But even then,
>> > it can be frustrating to learn. Acceptable, but still frustrating.)
>> > One extreme way to put it is: I would rather the bad interface that I
>> know
>> > rather than a marginally better interface that I don't know. It has to
>> > be really good to be worth the pain.
>> >

>> > I guess we're mostly talking about color changes, rather than moving
>> > around tools and redesigning critical UI elements, so some of these
>> > concerns are less strong. But I think they're still concerns?
>>
>> I fully understand your position, as well as the need to progress.
>> I think we are only talking of changing the icons, not their placement
>> or menu organization here (although this has been discussed previously,
>> and may be worth exploring).
>> One possible comproise (I'm sure many will object to this also) would
>> be, as I mentioned, to have a "legacy mode" switch so people can move to
>> the new icon set only when they feel comfortable with this.
>> All the best.
>> --
>> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
>> QGIS & PostGIS courses: http://www.faunalia.eu/training.html