[Qgis-developer] When to start converting our plugins?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Jan 6 01:17:13 PST 2017

Il 06/01/2017 09:36, Tom Chadwin ha scritto:
> @Andreas I just want to have a 3-compatible version launched as soon as
> possible. I don't really want 3 to be released and have no version to
> accompany it. Yes, I could guarantee everything would work if I develop
> after release, but hopefully the feature freeze will give me and others time
> to convert our work.
>
> Thanks, all, for the really useful replies.

Hi all,
thanks for the fruitful discussion. I agree:
* the ideal situation is that at least the most downloaded plugins (say,
>=25) are ported during feature freeze, so they are immediately
available for early adopters of QGIS3; this is important IMHO because
the more early adopters, the more early Q3 testing, the faster we'll get
to a stable Q3; missing important plugins will keep users away from Q3
* documents to help plugins devs to migrate are very important, both
formal documents, and real user experiences; better create a place to
start accumulating it (READMEs on GitHub?) and point plugin deveopers to it.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu