[QGIS-Developer] QGIS/OGR: FeatureIds reassigned on write to data provider?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 15:01:20 PDT 2017

Hi Sandro

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Sandro Mani <manisandro at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem is that if one of the changes to be committed is refused by the
> provider, you're stuck not being able to commit the entire set of changes.
> And, since we are dealing with invalid geometries, it is not that unlikely
> that this occurs. Committing directly to the provider ensures that we know
> immediately whether a change is valid or not.

Out of curiosity, which providers tend to refuse features? I thought
that most providers will be happy to commit also invalid geometries
given that they do not mind storing them. Are geometries refused only
if they are invalid or are there also other related issues? Maybe it
would help if we did not allow users to commit invalid geometries? (or
only with big red warning that they should expect havoc, possibly end
of the world)

Cheers
Martin