[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3.0 beta

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Thu Jul 13 22:57:29 PDT 2017

Am 08.07.2017 um 10:13 schrieb Matthias Kuhn:
> Hi all,
>
> Not too far away we will enter feature freeze for QGIS 3.0 and will be
> trying to polish the next release as much as possible.
>
> During this time, a lot of testing will need to be done in order to be
> able to best spend the bugfixing time. There are a handful of people who
> regularly test nightlies and report bugs (thanks!).
>
> I wonder if it's possible to attract more testers for the next release
> by providing a "beta".
>
> I think releasing a version labelled "beta" at the beginning of the
> feature freeze (and another one half way through) will make more people
> aware of the upcoming release. This can lead to additional important
> testing from audience which otherwise would only "test" the final
> release (with a lower acceptance of bugs). Besides that, I think it will
> also be a good signal for devs to start porting plugin code and a very
> good preparation for end users marketing-wise.
>
> It will be best served with a blog post explaining how critical the
> bugfixing phase is for a release and how resources for this are allocated.
>
> It's just an idea I had in mind for some time. Does anyone dislike it?
>
> Thanks
> Matthias

Many thanks for all the work on the upcoming 3.0 version. Really
appreciated.

As the maintainer of the port for the FreeBSD operating system [1], I am
in the process of preparing all dependencies for the 3.0 version. Some
of the needed QT5 and Python3 deps are not present or usable on FreeBSD
until now. We had good experiences with using 2.x.x versions of QGIS on
FreeBSD :)

Here my question to the QGIS devs: Is there a (roughly complete) list of
facultative and optional dependencies and their versions to build and
run a QGIS 3.0 (beta) on Unix-alike systems? And also, is there a
(commented) list of options, one can enable/disable at build time?

Any hint or help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Göttingen in Germany,
Rainer Hurling

[1] http://www.freshports.org/graphics/qgis