[QGIS-Developer] Editable CSV files

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 15:09:56 PDT 2017

On 20 July 2017 at 00:35, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks all for your feedback. The "Add delimited text" way of loading CSV
> data is a lot more powerful and more flexible than the OGR way. So I would
> really prefer to use the CSV this way and still be able to edit and save
> directly to the CSV.
>
> Would this be possible as an enhancement?

I still think the "proper"/"most open source ecosystem friendly"
approach here would be to port the extra features which QGIS'
delimited text provider has across to GDAL's csv driver. Then the "add
delimited text" button would become just a frontend for setting up the
parameters for GDAL's driver (and possibly auto-creation of a csvt
file too).

Given that gdal already supports editable csv (and is used by many
projects outside of QGIS), it seems more friendly to the wider
community if any investment was about enhancing gdal's driver instead
of adding write support within QGIS only.

That's just my 2c!

Nyall