[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-developer] Are there plans to create a unique "Add layer" tool?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 23:35:41 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Stéphane Henriod <stephanebek at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alessandro
>
> replies inline
>
> Le lundi 5 juin 2017, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Stéphane Henriod <stephanebek at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alessandro
>>>
>>> First of all, thank you so much for this work, it looks really great
>>> already!
>>>
>>> Here a few comments / ideas after a few quick tests, I let you filter
>>> which ones could actually be part of this phase and which ones should be
>>> left out for a future phase 2
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for testing!
>>

> That's the least I can do when someone has already done the hard part,
> i.e. developing :-)
>

>>> - "Raster" is not consistent: it is confusing that the file selector
>>> opens directly. The behavior should mimick the "vector" (open the file
>>> selector only when the user clicks on "browse")
>>>

>> yeah, I know,  this has been already discussed in the PR comments, please
>> have a look.
>>

> Yes, I've seen that. But I was not sure  if a consensus has been reached.
> Will it stay like this for now or is it still open for discussion? I would
> favor the "extra-click" that would make it more consistent with the other
> providers

Nothing is carved in stones and I don't know if a consensus has been
reached (I even don't know how to judge whether consensus has been
reached), but I feel the other way: I prefer efficiency to consistency in
this particular case. But maybe the strongest reason to not spend much time
on it is that it's a temporary solution: adding a raster (or a vector file)
from the filesystem is really something that can be done right now from the
browser, but this is all in the PR discussion.

>>> - The "DB2" logo should be cleaned (at least add transparency)
>>>

>> Sorry, I've no graphics design skills, and this task is really something
>> that a not-programmer can contribute to. Changing the icons was not in
>> scope btw.
>>

> I don't have such skills either but I'd be happy to try and at least make
> the background transparent. I however don't know where to find the original
> icon and how to push it back, once I have (maybe) successfully improved it.
> (This had also been raised by Nyall)

You can find icons here: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/
tree/master/images/themes/default

>>> - When I click on "Browse", the file selector window opens behind the
>>> Data Source Manager
>>>

>> Not sure I understand what you mean here, probably need more details, and
>> it seems like a bug.
>>

> Here what I mean: https://vimeo.com/220330186
>
> But it is not super consistent and doesn't necessarily happen everytime
>
> I opened an issue here: https://issues.qgis.org/issues/16666

Thanks, I'll definitely have a look, you are using the dialog in modeless
mode, aren't you?

>>> - I would change the order of the providers: move the "Delimited text"
>>> just below raster (so that we have all file-based providers together). And
>>> maybe separate (visually) the providers in sections: "Files", "Databases",
>>> "Web services", "Virtual" (or something like this). Also,"ArcGIS Feature
>>> Server" should probably be just after "ArcGIS Map Server"
>>>

>> If I'm not mistaken, the order is  the same order we had before for the
>> menu items and the icons, I did not alter the order (at least that was not
>> my intention).
>>

> I indeed think that you kept the original order. But would it be out of
> the scope of this first phase to clean up and make this order more
> intuitive? It seems to me like a good opportunity but maybe I am
> underestimating the associated workload?

No, it's not a big workload, but changing the order wasn't in my plans.
Feel free to make a proposal and a PR and let's see what other people
thinks (I've not a strong opinion on this topic).

As soon as I find some time to work on this again I will focus on a small
refactoring to move the classes from app to gui (that has no impact at all
on UI/UX).

Cheers.

--
Alessandro Pasotti