[QGIS-Developer] QGIS project XSD

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 03:04:48 PDT 2017

(I havent followed the work on QVariantMaps, I will give it a look).

Nyall, I know that to make it error free and mantainable, we will need some
sort of metadata, which would require some work both to set it up and
mantain it.
This dicussion starts from the benfits of having a schema. If the most of
you don't consider it a valuable option, there's no need to dicuss possible
implementation :)

I have various cases where I need to parse a project but I can't rely on
QGIS libs (because of the system environment).

If I had to decide for a solution I would considera, as said before, some
kind of metadata system, even something similar to doctests/docstrings
(skipped by compilers) where every class partecipating (or willing to
partecipate) to the serialization will declare it's sub-schema, and where
it would put it (we are always in an infoset model, so it must declare it's
parent).

A utility tool could parse the code and build the final, complete, scheme.
This utility could build whatever kind of scheme (XSD, DTD, our own
selfdescribing format).

Yes, this is an overhead for those working on the parts of the code that
serialize to project, but I don't think this is so big compared to the
benfits...
For sure we can't mantain a schema manually!

giovanni