[QGIS-Developer] QGIS project XSD

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 02:31:29 PDT 2017

On 30 June 2017 at 18:35, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I know this has been discussed in the past, and maybe I missed more recent discussions, but I think this is a point that should be considered.
>
> Working a lot with QGIS projects parsing and processing, we have to rely on trials and errors to validate a QGIS project and create test projects on every QGIS release to verify our paresers to be aligned with each version.
>
> I see that a very old (15 years) Qgis.xsd is still in the QGIS sources [1].
>
> First of all I would get rid of it, being outdated and (I guess) unused.
> Then I would remove the DOCTYPE declaration from the project XML and use a Schema declaration instead, pointing to a versioned XSD.
>
> XSDs could have their own versioning scheme, or keep it simple and let XSD versions be strictly the same as QGIS's version (reported inside the project file).
>

> What's your opinion on this?

Seems like a huge amount of administrative overhead to me. A small
change to the project format could result in massive amounts of
required changes to the xsd.

Given that now it's safe to have multiple QgsProjects at once,
couldn't you instead just load the project and retrieve the desired
information using the QGIS API directly?

Nyall