[Qgis-developer] QGIS Resource Sharing - GSOC 2017 (?)

Akbar Gumbira akbargumbira at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 07:54:34 PST 2017

Dear developers,

Perhaps I need to do introduction again as anyone else. My name is Akbar
Gumbira, studying Computer Science in Warsaw University of Technology and
right now working on my thesis about Probabilistic Topic Models - in
general inferring topics of given documents and I am trying to apply it on
images (perhaps that could be of any relevance for QGIS?). I came into the
GIS pool as a developer configuring and setting up that platform that must
not be named for a couple of ministries and government agencies in
Indonesia. I then started working on InaSAFE in 2013 that made me familiar
with QGIS.

Last year I developed QGIS Resource Sharing plugin as GSoC 2016 with Anita
and Ale as the mentors. Since then, there has been some discussions about
the development of this plugin. As I recall:

   - Replacing entirely processing scripts sharing from Processing plugin
   given the requirement that the plugin is already in core and works smoothly.
   - Making a unified sharing platform joining the plugin with Plugin
   Manager *taking a deep breath*. This quite scares me as the plugin manager
   has been running smoothly for years that probably no one has complained
   about it.

If this plugin is useful and you would like to see it developed, I would be
happy to apply again for GSoC 2017 and perhaps we can start the discussion
here so that I can make a clear proposal (the proposal can still change
shape too in the duration of Community Bonding Period - the whole May). But
if not (say the plugin is sufficient enough for users needs), I am also
happy to just maintain it and getting it into core.

I am looking forward for your feedback.

Cheers