[Qgis-developer] QGIS Resource Sharing - GSOC 2017 (?)

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Mar 2 13:26:18 PST 2017

Hi
> On 02 Mar 2017, at 5:54 PM, Akbar Gumbira <akbargumbira at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear developers,
>
> Perhaps I need to do introduction again as anyone else. My name is Akbar Gumbira, studying Computer Science in Warsaw University of Technology and right now working on my thesis about Probabilistic Topic Models - in general inferring topics of given documents and I am trying to apply it on images (perhaps that could be of any relevance for QGIS?). I came into the GIS pool as a developer configuring and setting up that platform that must not be named for a couple of ministries and government agencies in Indonesia. I then started working on InaSAFE in 2013 that made me familiar with QGIS.
>
> Last year I developed QGIS Resource Sharing plugin as GSoC 2016 with Anita and Ale as the mentors. Since then, there has been some discussions about the development of this plugin. As I recall:
> Replacing entirely processing scripts sharing from Processing plugin given the requirement that the plugin is already in core and works smoothly.
> Making a unified sharing platform joining the plugin with Plugin Manager *taking a deep breath*. This quite scares me as the plugin manager has been running smoothly for years that probably no one has complained about it.
> If this plugin is useful and you would like to see it developed, I would be happy to apply again for GSoC 2017 and perhaps we can start the discussion here so that I can make a clear proposal (the proposal can still change shape too in the duration of Community Bonding Period - the whole May). But if not (say the plugin is sufficient enough for users needs), I am also happy to just maintain it and getting it into core.
>
> I am looking forward for your feedback.

My 2c is that I think we should let the resource sharing plugin get a little more used and established before extending its reach into other parts of the code base. This will probably only really start happening when 3.0 gets out in the wild....

You did do such a great job on last year's GSOC - why not look at some other areas of the codebase. I am sure there are plenty of ideas flying around but some you might consider:

* Building on the work form Matthias Kuhn and Sandro Mani to improve and mainstream the QGIS Globe 3D plugin
* Adding support for mixed geometry layers to QGIS
* Get QGIS to work in one of the VR / AR platforms (Cardboard / Microsoft Hololens / Oculus Rift / HTC Vive) etc.
* Making QGIS work with Tangible Landscape (as a replacement for Grass) - see https://tangible-landscape.github.io <https://tangible-landscape.github.io/> - doubly cool if you take advantage of the nice new stuff Nyall has been showing off at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsYRxmnWkI <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsYRxmnWkI> so that we can do spatial animations over the landscape
* Getting the automatic digitizing tool to work against images (by doing edge detection or using some image processing smarts to predict where the user is wanting to digitizing)

Thats my 5 minute brain dump, and probably not as cool a list as others will come up with :-)

Regards

Tim

> Cheers

—