[Qgis-developer] QGIS Resource Sharing - GSOC 2017 (?)

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 14:23:30 PST 2017

On 3 March 2017 at 08:11, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be great to have some coding efforts for 3D stuff in QGIS. It's a
> deep and wide topic but it would bring QGIS to the next level ;)
>
> Recently I've been working with Blender 3D (and OSM data), and I was
> reflecting how would be great to have a 3D canvas with front/left/rigth/etc.
> views to manage vertex coordinates... and one day, maybe, meshes and
> volumes, etc.

See... I don't think it would be *that* difficult now that we've got
Qt3D available.

One really nice thing we'd gain is that (with very recent qt versions)
you can use qpainter to create materials for the 3d surfaces. This
should mean we could re-use existing symbology between 2d and 3d
views. And *hopefully* tileable styles like line pattern fills/marker
fills/etc would work fine.

My wishlist:
- multi 3d views inside the main canvas window
- embed a 3d view inside a composer

Nyall