[Qgis-developer] 3.0 Documentation and branching

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 15:32:19 PST 2017

Hi Richard,

A dom, 5/03/2017, 21:56, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
escreveu:

So do I understand correct that people want to write docs for 3.0 in a
> 'fake'-3.0 branch, and the plan is then when master becomes really 3.0
> all these changes will be cherry picked from that branch?
> Because I think that will be hard to do.... given those branches will
> divert from each other, and it is already pretty hard to have a good
> overview as of where to place pieces of info.

Not sure if I followed your idea when you mention a "fake" 3.0 branch.

My idea would be to have a 2.18 branch and a master branch (effectively
aiming at 2.99 development).

When a documenter work in a new feature description, he would do it
directly on master and, if that feature was already available on qgis 2.18,
backport that description to the 2.18 branch. If it's a feature that will
only available on 3.0, there is no backporting to do.

> But given that every new feature (which is commited with a 'FEATURE'
> tag) has it's issue in the documentation issue tracker [0], why not add
> information there? You can write full RST there, you can attache
> images/screendumps etc etc.
>
> If people (be it dev's or doc writers who are eager to dive into a new
> feature) write there stuff there, it can be copied from there into the
> rst of the docs as soon as we open up for 3.0 features.

This (or having a waiting PR) is precisely what I would like to avoid,
because if we wait for 2.18 documentation to be finished before starting
document 3.0, those hanging contributions can be difficult to integrate
later. Besides, it will be easy for other documenters to miss those
contributions and do some overlapping.

IMHO, the master branch version of documentation should (almost) always
match the master branch version of QGIS.

> Regards,
>
> Richard
>
> [0] As an example: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/1723
>
> > Y.
> > Le dimanche 5 mars 2017, 00:53:53 CET Alexandre Neto a écrit :
> >> Hi Mathias,
> >>
> >> We only need to translate finished documentation. So I guess the next
> >> candidate for translation would be 2.18 Documentation once it was
> released.
> >>
> >> Richard is the guy that have it all wired up, I would like to hear from
> him
> >> if there are any nasty implications of having two branches receiving
> >> changes.

> can

Alexandre Neto
@AlexNetoGeo