[Qgis-developer] PyQGIS documentation (and SIP files)

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 00:23:20 PST 2017

Hi,

I think we still lack a up-to-date comprehensive documentation targeted to
Python QGIS developers and I would like to discuss the options that we have
to improve the current situation.

As a Python QGIS developer, what I probably need is:
1. Python API docs, possibly with examples
2. Developer documentation about how to write PyQGIS plugins and standalone
applications
3. Tutorials and examples
4. Scaffolding

2 and 3. the cookbook is doing a very good job, but it could probably be
improved and kept in sync with the API changes
4. is perfectly covered by plugin builders
1. this is were IMO we should do better: for most experienced QGIS
developers it's perfectly fine to look at the C++ API docs, but I think
that for Python developers that is not ideal

There have been some efforts to build PyQGIS API documentation:
http://geoapis.sourcepole.com/qgispyapi/qgisinterface , maybe Sourcepole
colleagues could share their experience in building that pages.

My main concern here is that we are slowly moving away from documenting SIP
files, I don't know if we can still build PyQGIS documentation without
documenting the SIP files but we should think carefully before taking a
move that will block us from using SIP files as a source for building the
docs.

What do you think about this?

--
Alessandro Pasotti