[Qgis-developer] bug tracker cleanup

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 06:55:14 PST 2017

Hi all,

Over the past few days I was tasked with the periodical triage and
cleanup the the QGIS bug tracker. As usual I focused on the issues
that supposed to be more serious, specifically (known) regressions
(priority = “severe”) and the ones that are known to cause crashes or
data corruption (priority = “high”):

causing crashes:
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/issues?query_id=116

regressions:
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/issues?query_id=115

The regressions list grouped by affected version is useful to
understand that I tagged as “affected version = master” the ones that
are really only affecting the QGIS 3 master branch.

There may be more regressions or “causing crashes” issues hidden in
the very large list (1300+) of issues tagged as “normal”: I have done
my best to spot as many as possible
but is not a quick task. Many issues are very poorly reported, needing
quite an effort to test them. The good news is that now there are a
good number of issues awaiting feedback because I was not able to
replicate them locally (usually on multiple platforms).

Anyway… if you are aware of any regression or causing crash issue now
tagged as “normal” please let me know or just change the priority
accordingly.

Speaking about the severe list you may have noticed that there are
issues that are known since a long ago, but there are also others that
are *pretty recent*, in fact there are a few regressions that have
slip into 2.18 since 2.14. Releasing now 2.18 as new LTR would mean
effectively releasing a worse QGIS compared to 2.14.

I would like to understand if before the release of the next LTR there
will be scheduled bug fixing effort, as has been done for other
releases; and, if in this is the case, it will be a targeted one, in
order to give the priority to regressions that have appeared between
2.14 and 2.18.

With regards

-- Giovanni --

Note: we should really do something to ask people to be more
disciplined when posting issues, making for example the category
mandatory and  somehow help choosing the correct priority > ex: if is
a regression then “severe”, if causes a crash then “high”, use normal
for all the other cases. We should also state/force the users to try
in a clean environment, with no 3rd party plugins before reporting.

Note2: I would really like to do a major cleanup of the tracker in Essen.