[Qgis-developer] GSOC project idea

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:14:20 PDT 2017

Hi Sai!

Thanks for raising interested in this - we'd love to have more GSOC
candidates for the project!

Some specific comments inline below:

On 21 March 2017 at 06:03, Sai Harsh Tondomker <saiharsh.t13 at iiits.in> wrote:>
> 1. Without restarting qgis, it will display the newly added plugin. best of my knowledge this feature is not present in qgis.

That's already present if plugins are installed using the plugin
installer. The master version of the installer also allows
installation of offline plugin zips, which will immediately be loaded
without restart.

> 2.Let us suppose if in a .csv file we have lat, long column, when it's uploaded to qgis it will mark all the places which this lat & long is representing.(If user needs it), it's useful because lat & long are used quite often.

That's also already present, using either the delimited text provider
or the OGR provider.

> 4. Qgis to support Python 3 without breaking python 2.

We've made the decision that QGIS 3.0 is when we break API and move to
Python 3 only. We won't accept backward compatibility here as it gets
very tricky with our various dependencies, especially PyQt. So the
master branch is now fully Python 3 and does not support Python 2.

> 3. While uploading the .csv file (in which duplicate names exist) to merge with attribute table in qgis, the duplicates can be merge depending on the formula applied, this feature is not present in qgis.

This sounds interesting! We could certainly benefit a lot from both
greater power available through joins and relations, and also
duplicate management is quite poor in QGIS. I'd suggest the second
half of this (duplicate management) could be a great project to
explore.

Nyall