[Qgis-developer] RE. Wiki page/area for 'Building QGIS from scratch'

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Mar 21 12:43:07 PDT 2017

Hi

> On 21 Mar 2017, at 10:33 AM, Yves Jacolin <yjacolin at free.fr> wrote:
>
> Sorry for the noise, reading again the thread, my previous email is not
> relevant for such issue. I don't think we will add a chapter how to build QGIS
> from scratch.

Good  - I think it will get outdated quickly and history shows that such content does not get well maintained. If we had to do anything along these lines, it could be to have a small chapter which lists all the QGIS dependencies along with a pointer to the upstream build instructions for each dependency. At least that should be more easily maintained and does not duplicate effort from upstream projects.

John have you considered just running QGIS in docker - its probably a much easier approach than the method you have embarked upon...

Regards

Tim

> Y.
> On samedi 18 mars 2017 15:55:34 CET Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>> And can I add the constant hard fight against fake user accounts adding
>> wiki spam? (see osgeo wiki).
>>
>> The workflow we have now is translatable, can be build to pdf's, is
>> versioned and is continuously tested/rebuild.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> On 18-03-17 13:40, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>>> The wiki information got outdated very fast, and was also not
>>> translatable easily.
>>> A decision was made a while ago for official documentation should be
>>> done int the same workflow
>>> as the website in order to streamline that process and make sure
>>> everyone is using the same tools.
>>>
>>> - Nathan
>>>

>>> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 10:18 PM, John Hawkinson <jhawk at mit.edu
>>>
>>> <mailto:jhawk at mit.edu>> wrote:
>>>    I'm new here, so I'll ask the obvious question:
>>>
>>>    Wikis are great because they lower the bar to collaboration. It's
>>>    really
>>>    easy to make edits and you don't have to worry about them getting
>>>    approved
>>>    and that's awesome. Really easy workflow, more so than github pull
>>>    requests.
>>>    New and potential contributors don't get discouraged.
>>>
>>>    What's the reason for putting up barriers to documentation like this?
>>>
>>>    Problems with spam or low quality edits? Can I find a robust
>>>    discussion
>>>    of the tradeoffs in the list archives?
>>>
>>>    --jhawk at mit.edu <mailto:jhawk at mit.edu>
>>>
>>>      John Hawkinson