[Qgis-developer] RE. Wiki page/area for 'Building QGIS from scratch'

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Mar 22 02:33:01 PDT 2017

On 18-03-17 06:56, Mark Johnson wrote:
>>> No, I mean in the .rst files. Send the changes via a PR. Then it'll be
> added to the developers guide at
>
> Well, I have no idea what :
> * .rst files are
> * how to make then or
> * how to view them
>
> The wiki pages I can do on the fly while working this out.
> Can you live with a wiki version ?
> - if not I will stop it

Hi Mark,

if you insist ( and I see you do :-) ):

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/wiki/Building-QT-5-from-scratch

Then PLEASE create a system in which you make it clear
WHICH version of QGIS you are trying to build on
WHAT version of Linux/Ubuntu
on WHICH Qt version (and other lib versions)

(so others can provide instructions for other versions/distro-version)

I'm with Matthias
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2017-March/047756.html

Unless you are sure you will keep this uptodate I'm not sure it has any
value for other developers to have it on the our QGIS-Documentation
wiki. Your hard work now, will be outdated within 6 months, I'm afraid.
It will only be 'historical' knowledge then...

Sorry to be harsh, but it is much easier to build QGIS with the lib
versions of your own distro.

What about forking QGIS-Documentation to your own repo, and put this in
your Wiki there? We can even blog about it and point to the instructions?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

/me thinking we should never had opened the wiki on the repo :-(