[Qgis-developer] automatic sip files generation

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Mar 30 07:55:51 PDT 2017

Hi

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 3:18 PM, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to raise the attention on a new workflow I just merged to automatically generate SIP files using the header as source only.
>
> A PR is pending for the documentation, but you can read it here
> https://github.com/3nids/QGIS-Documentation/blob/6e3a9fb6f98a2869aef27c01b7ab70eb0a4c7556/source/docs/developers_guide/codingstandards.rst#sip-bindings <https://github.com/3nids/QGIS-Documentation/blob/6e3a9fb6f98a2869aef27c01b7ab70eb0a4c7556/source/docs/developers_guide/codingstandards.rst#sip-bindings>
> (waiting to be merged).
>
> For the moment, only 3 files are generated (qgsattributes, qgsfeature and qgsvectorlayer). One can starts adding new files to the process by adapting their header and removing them from python/auto_sip.blacklist.

This is really great! A couple of questions:

1) the blacklist implies that any new .h files added to the source tree will automatically have sip bindings generated unless you explicitly blacklist them?
2) are you thinking to maintain the sip files in Git still or remove the from revision in favour of having them as build time artifacts only? I ask this because I often direct people to use the sip files as a reference guide for the python API if they want to dig under the hood a bit more.

Regards

Tim

> Best wishes,
>
> Denis