[QGIS-Developer] Support for "segments" in the QgsGeometryAnalyzer buffer function

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at nmbu.no
Fri May 12 00:06:55 PDT 2017

Dear QGIS developers,

Giovanni Manghi encouraged me to raise this in the dev
list.

The QgsGeometry buffer function has two parameters:
distance (double) and segments (int).
"distance" is used to specify the buffer distance.
"segments" is used to specify the number of straight
line segments used to approximate a quarter circle.

The QgsGeometryAnalyzer buffer function makes only the
"distance" parameter available.

In Feature request #15905
(https://issues.qgis.org/issues/15905) I have suggested
that the "segments" parameter is made in the
QgsGeometryAnalyzer buffer function.

To me this seems like a trivial change, and I have
created a pull request to demonstrate it
(https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/4302).

Are there any reasons for not having the segments
parameter available in the QgsGeometryAnalyzer buffer
function?
Could curved geometry have anything to do with it?

Håvard
--
Håvard Tveite
Faculty of Sciences and Technology, NMBU