[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3D Grant

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue May 23 20:40:01 PDT 2017

Hi Syd

The idea is to have support for proper 3D meshes/volumes, not just
2.5D geometries. The initial work should introduce interface for 3D
renderers (somehow similar to 2D renderers we have now) allowing
generation of arbitrary meshes and associated materials from input
data (which could be 2D geometries, 2.5D geometries or 3D geometries)
- to create e.g. buildings extruded from their footprint, tree objects
from points or underground pipes from linestring geometries. In the
initial work we may not have support for reading true 3D geometries
from data sources like PostGIS, but that should not be a problem to
add at some point later when the 3D rendering framework is in place.

Regards
Martin