[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Feature freeze: Paid developer activities for QGIS 3.0

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 03:36:26 PDT 2017

Hi

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I agree with RĂ©gis. It would be useful to have the layouts instead of the
> old composers in QGIS 3. It would be better than the other alternatives,
> even if it would mean a further delay of the QGIS 3 release.

Agreed as well. The alternatives are really much, much inferior
solutions. Nyall's estimate that he would need two weeks to get
layouts replace old composer code is not that much extra time to ask
after having QGIS 3.0 in development for ~1.5 year. It would be a
shame if we missed the opportunity to get rid of the old composer code
before 3.0 -- especially after so many great cleanups in 3.0 API that
have been done. The print layouts is not just an ordinary feature - it
is a result of a hugely successful crowdfunding campaign and many
weeks of development - and something we all look forward to :-)

The stability of the new codebase is reasonable concern to have, but
Nyall is well known for delivering high quality results, and we still
have some weeks for bug fixing before the release - and also
afterwards.

> We just have to think about the consequences. Personally, I would propose to
> delay the QGIS 3 release again a bit, e.g. release later in December, just
> before Christmas - because I do think that the bug fixing period, as it is
> scheduled now is too short.

That sounds sensible to me. Free copies of QGIS 3.0 as the Christmas
present for everyone :-)

Regards
Martin