[QGIS-Developer] Soft freeze for QGIS 3.0

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Nov 6 22:04:59 PST 2017

Hi

Oh yeah I meant to ask if there was anything important I missed in the list.

> On 07 Nov 2017, at 00:38, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Tim,
>
> If I can get the first run Welcome Screen to intro QGIS 3 ready soon do you think I can sneak that one in.  No API changes mainly just a bit of nice UX for first run when we release.

+1 from me it will be good for our users - perhaps we can somehow link them to the visual changelog? http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/3.0.0/ <http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/3.0.0/> (or the  static page that Richard generates from it).

Regards

Tim

> Not a major issue if no.
>
> Regards,
> Nathan
>
> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com <mailto:tim at kartoza.com>> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As discussed earlier, we raised the issue of when and how to freeze at the PSC meeting. We tried to take on board your various comments and came out with this recommendation:
>
> • The current master branch will be in ‘soft freeze’ with a list of allowed PR’s / Future PR’s related to these features:
> 	• Datum transform handling (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5535 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5535>)
> 	• SAGA Support (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5155 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5155>)
> 	• GRASS Support (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5426 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5426>)
> 	• Metadata write support to file system (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5379 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5379>)
> 	• UI Widgets for drag forms (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5467 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5467>)
> 	* Composer refactor ( https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5486 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5486> to drop bindings and new PR to come for composer refactor).
>
> Please let us know if there were other ‘must merge’ features that were discussed but that I missed in the list above.
>
> • We will hold a rolling vote put to core developer (on loomio.org <http://loomio.org/>) every two weeks (starting two weeks from now) with a simple question “shall we freeze”? Once we have quorum on that vote, we go ahead and freeze and Jürgen can pretty much ignore 3.x in his release planning until that vote passes.
> • The paid bug fixing should commence now already regardless of when the freeze will actually happen.
>

> To address specifically Mathieu’s concerns about an unspecified date in the future, we do not anticipate an endless feature frenzy - the ‘soft freeze’ should keep the timelines reasonable while still giving us a chance to make sure that they API changes get a chance to land.
>

> I hope that woks for the majority of you. If you want o make the release come faster, help by reviewing code in PR’s, testing new features and generally pointing the QGIS car towards the finish line!
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>

>  <qgis-icon-60x60.png>
>

> ---