[QGIS-Developer] QgsServer and 3d tiles

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Mon Nov 13 06:04:50 PST 2017

Hello,

On 09/11/2017 16:49, G. Allegri wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
> I agree tiled static data can, and should, be served as static content
> but what I meant was having something like Tilestache, GeoWebCache,
> MapCache, etc.. They're meant to render and cache on the fly, or
> preseeding the tileset.
>
> My question raised from the fact that QGIS 3D renderer could be a common
> base to produce terrain meshes (a la Cesium) and 3D tiles, both for the
> desktop 3D viewer and for a cached tileset to be served through HTTP.

I would rather have a dedicated terrain mesh generator first, which
could be embedded in QGIS 3D later on. Generating a terrain mesh is a
data processing action, not a rendering one. We should tackle the
problem in this order, or we will end up with code less efficient and
less generic.

> QgsServer could use the same code base to populate the cache, but this
> doesn't prevent having a Processing tool (ore whatever) doing the work
> in advance.

I think we agree on the general issue, but have a different point of
view on the design process. We should converge at some point :-)

> You're working with gltf. What about OGC I3S?

I3S is, like other examples, a standard pushed by ESRI for ESRI
products. It has been designed by ESRI and pushed forward to OGC
community standard in a desire not to adopt 3D tiles.
I do not say that I3S is a bad technical standard. But it is just
another effort from ESRI to favor its own specific formats instead of
collaborating on a real "community" standard.

It is therefore not a strong incentive to dedicate efforts for an
opensource implementation.
If there was funding for it, we could implement it too, as the
specifications are open. But priority goes to 3DTiles as far as we are
concerned.

Regards,
Vincent