[QGIS-Developer] Deploy plugin by setting QGIS_PLUGINPATH

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Nov 16 04:25:10 PST 2017

I think what Zhang Qun is asking if he can use a custom directory to
store his plugin in.
If I grep in the source dir of QGIS I see a lot of references to
QGIS_PLUGINPATH, so it should work.
I also see in the changelog that is there since 2010 (and a lot of fixes
for windows environments....)

Do you seen the QGIS_PLUGINPATH in the Options/System tab?

Also does it not show up in the plugin list of the plugin manager?
Because if you install a plugin by copying it to the plugin dir (even
the default one), it is not enabled by default. So IF shown, enable it
in the plugin manager first.

FYI: grepping:

grep -ir QGIS_PLUGINPATH *
Binary file
build/src/python/CMakeFiles/qgispython.dir/qgspythonutilsimpl.cpp.o matches
build/doc/news:- Support for custom plugin directories using
QGIS_PLUGINPATH environment
build/doc/news.html:<LI>Support for custom plugin directories using
QGIS_PLUGINPATH environment
Binary file build/output/lib/libqgispython.so.2.18.14 matches
ChangeLog:    Fix windows path escaping for QGIS_PLUGINPATH
ChangeLog:    Fix windows path escaping for QGIS_PLUGINPATH
ChangeLog:    skip empty parts of QGIS_PLUGINPATH
ChangeLog:    don't split QGIS_PLUGINPATH at colon on windows
ChangeLog:    Additionally, plugin paths in QGIS_PLUGINPATH can be
separated by either semicolon or colon.
ChangeLog:    [FEATURE] support for custom plugin directories using
QGIS_PLUGINPATH environment variables.
doc/news.html:<LI>Support for custom plugin directories using
QGIS_PLUGINPATH environment
doc/news.t2t:- Support for custom plugin directories using
QGIS_PLUGINPATH environment
NEWS:- Support for custom plugin directories using QGIS_PLUGINPATH
environment
src/python/qgspythonutilsimpl.h:    //! return a list of extra plugins
paths passed with QGIS_PLUGINPATH environment variable
src/python/qgspythonutilsimpl.cpp:  // plugin dirs passed in
QGIS_PLUGINPATH env. variable have highest priority (usually empty)
src/python/qgspythonutilsimpl.cpp:  const char* cpaths = getenv(
"QGIS_PLUGINPATH" );
tests/src/python/test_qgsappstartup.py:            # when it is started.
if QGIS_PLUGINPATH is correctly parsed, this
tests/src/python/test_qgsappstartup.py:
env={'QGIS_PLUGINPATH': testDir})

HTH,

Richard DUivenvoorde