[QGIS-Developer] Deploy plugin by setting QGIS_PLUGINPATH

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Thu Nov 16 06:03:02 PST 2017

Please niote I don't remember whether the Plugin Installer (the part of Plugin
Manager's backend responsible for e.g. listing installed and available Python
plugins) is able to look for multiple directories.

First of all, do you really need to extend QGIS_PLUGINPATH ? Maybe it's enough
to put a symbolic link to ~/.qgis2

On czwartek, 16 listopada 2017 18:33:11 CET Zhang Qun wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I want to use the QGIS_PLUGINPATH environment variable to point to the
> directory where my plugin are located but did not manage to get it work.
>
> I'm on Ubuntu16.04 and running QGIS 2.18.
>
> I set the variable in terminal by:
> $ export QGIS_PLUGINPATH=~/QGIS_Plugins/rndf-editor/RNDFEditor/

Please note QGIS_PLUGINPATH shouldn't contain directly the plugin directory.
Instead it should point its parent. So if your plugin above is in the
*RNDFEditor* directory, the proper path is:

export QGIS_PLUGINPATH=~/QGIS_Plugins/rndf-editor

Now you should be able to see your plugin in the plugin manager.

And in order to check if QGIS sees the env var, just go to the QGIS' Python
console and type

qgis.utils.plugin_paths

You should be able to see a list with three directories :

1. the one from QGIS_PLUGINPATH,
2. ~/.qgis2/python/plugins
3. /usr/share/qgis/python/plugins

Regards,