[QGIS-Developer] plugin size

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Nov 30 03:51:50 PST 2017

Hi Matteo

You might want consider using the messaging framework we developed for InaSAFE. We used to use sphinx in the same way you do and struggled with it a) being very large to include in the plugin and b) requiring two separate translation workflows (Qt based and gettext based). The messaging package is currently bundled in InaSAFE here:

https://github.com/inasafe/inasafe/tree/develop/safe/messaging

But we could probably easily hive it of to its own pip package. The usage semantics allow for production of rich content which can be displaced in a web widget or exported to standalone pages. For example we produce http://manual.inasafe.org from the same code base we have in the plugin. Here is a simple example of how you use it to make a help page for a dialog:

https://github.com/inasafe/inasafe/blob/develop/safe/gui/tools/help/dock_help.py#L51

I would say the learning curve is not much higher than learning RsT and you have the advantage of your code and documentation all being managed in one place. I’d love to see this moved into QGIS core one day as I guess this is a really common requirement for plugin authors (and core devs…).

Regards

Tim

—

Tim Sutton