[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Server: proposal for small change in GetFeatureInfo response

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Oct 5 06:33:48 PDT 2017

Hi Régis,

I would prefer to have them disabled by default. It easier to change the
two existing web clients than changing any other WMS client out there.

After the change in QGIS server (QGIS 3 would make sense for this
change), we would have to change LizMap and QWC2. I don't even know if
Lizmap uses this attribute or does a separate WFS call for highlighting,
in which case it wouldn't be much affected anyway.

Andreas

On 2017-10-05 15:18, Régis Haubourg wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
> good point.
>
> Having two vendor-specific options is ok to me.
> What I am wondering is:
>
> - do we prefer to have them displayed by default, and we won't break existing web client
> - have them hidden by default and we stop surcharging QGIS client identify window.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> Régis

>> Hi QGIS Server devs and users,
>>
>> I have a small proposal for a change in the QGIS Server GetFeatureInfo reponse.
>>
>> Next to the attributes that are returned for a feature, there are two additional results:
>>
>> * geometry (optional, used for high-lighting in Web-GIS clients)
>> * maptip (usually the display value for the maptip in QGIS desktop or a combination of several attributes), used by Web-GIS clients if they want to display the most relevant information on mouse-over
>>
>> The problem with these two additional result attributes, is that while they are useful in a Web-GIS client context, both attributes are visible in the GetFeatureInfo response of a Desktop GIS as well, such as QGIS desktop. On these desktop GIS clients, the display of those two attributes are unnecessary or even annoying.
>>
>> Now, my proposal is to hide these two attributes by default, unless a client explicitly requests them. We could introduce a new vendor-specific parameter, like WITH_GEOMETRY and WITH_MAPTIP or something similar.
>>
>> What do you think? It would require small changes in QWC II, Lizmap or other specific web clients who specifically use QGIS server extensions.
>>
>> Andreas

Links:
------