[QGIS-Developer] Future of OSM integration

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 02:30:44 PDT 2017

Hi,

> I can't write a solution but, personnally (and others I think ;)) , my little ‎dream is that QGIS replace JOSM to edit OSM data.

Well, that will stay a dream, since OSM has a topology/no schema data
model. QGIS perhap can serve as an editor for very specialized use
cases (while being careful not to destroy OSM structures).

> Hi
>
> What do people think about the OpenStreetMap integration in Vector >
> OpenStreetMap menu?
>
> My original plan for it was to have a convenient way of downloading
> and viewing of OSM data as background maps for project, however I have
> a feeling that the implementation somehow stayed far behind my grand
> plans :-)

We really should differenciate the use cases:
* OSM as base map.
* OSM vector data (inc. POIs) for spatial analytics
* QGIS as OSM Editor

Use case 3.: is out of discussion currently.

Use case 1: QGIS has raster support of OSM data (WMS, WMTS, QMS etc.).
Thinking of OSM as vector base map I would like to point to vector
tiles. Theres e.g. my Vector Tiles Reader plugin which is still in
active development (at leasst until end of this year!).

Use case 2: Thats also needed. Its about mapping OSM data (= topol.
geometries and key-value pairs) to relational layers (=
point/line/polygon and attributes plus ev. a tag attribute containing
a string with comma separated key/values).

Martins plugin seems to be one of those.

> So my question really is - shall we just get rid of it? Would anyone
> miss it? :-)

Surely OGR is/would be a good import library.
But I don't have an overview of the state of other plugins.
Anyone?

:Stefan