[QGIS-Developer] Future of OSM integration

Etienne Trimaille etienne.trimaille at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 06:42:44 PDT 2017

Editing OSM data in QGIS looks quite difficult. The OSM data format is
quite far away from any GIS format. And relations are totally not
supported. I think it's out of scope for now

> Does quick OSM give us the same download as local dataset feature. I have
never looked.

Yes it does. You can either use the Overpass API to query the OSM database
or you can open a local OSM file (PBF or XML) using your custom osmconf.ini.

I think QGIS should provide a way to :
* download an OSM dataset from overpass and save it to a local file. It was
only XML format, but it seems PBF is supported since a few months only
http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/PBF-output-prototype-available-for-testing-td5884534.html
so I might be good to load the PBF file with OGR now.
* load this file in QGIS, without having the "other_tags" column (or having
hstore as mentioned). QuickOSM is doing a first loop to determine every
field which are needed in the vector layer, it's quite time-consuming.