[QGIS-Developer] UI discussion?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Oct 13 01:55:21 PDT 2017

Hi Dev's,

Should/can we plan some ui discussion maybe before QGIS3 freeze?

I know only discussion is not very helpfull, as it does not DO it, but I
think we should use the big 3 release as a handle to cleanup/fix some ui
too. As we add so much things, in my opinion you should not be afraid to
also remove (non used/important) things.

Some low hanging fruit I would like to do/discuss:
- move 'Plugins/Install plugin from zip' to the dialog
- remove overview panel (and menu actions)
- remove Help toolbar (we have helpbuttons and a menu item)
- move stuff (which I think clutter menu's but personally never use) to
'menu groups' (like all Save Map as.. and DXF import/export (and rename
those)
- merge Project New and New from Template to one 'menu group'-action

(with menu group I mean a button/action with a little dropdown next to
it, like you have for the select tools)

Opinions? Anybody interested?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde