[QGIS-Developer] UI discussion?

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 08:15:42 PDT 2017

Hi Richard,

> On Fri., 13 Oct. 2017, 6:55 pm Richard Duivenvoorde, <rdmailings at duif.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dev's,
>>
>> Should/can we plan some ui discussion maybe before QGIS3 freeze?
>>
>> I know only discussion is not very helpfull, as it does not DO it, but I
>> think we should use the big 3 release as a handle to cleanup/fix some ui
>> too. As we add so much things, in my opinion you should not be afraid to
>> also remove (non used/important) things.
>>
>>  While we are at UI/UX discussion, may I recall that we created months
ago an ad hoc repository (https://github.com/qgis/
qgis3_UIX_discussion/issues) and that repository is full of issues waiting
for pickers/opinions? And to paraphrase someone, "Freeze is coming"...

> Some low hanging fruit I would like to do/discuss:
>> - move 'Plugins/Install plugin from zip' to the dialog
>>
> Keen to see how this can integrate the Plugin manager and stays obvious
for user but why not

> - remove overview panel (and menu actions)
>> - remove Help toolbar (we have helpbuttons and a menu item)
>>
> No strong opinion for above. I neither use them.

> - move stuff (which I think clutter menu's but personally never use) to
>> 'menu groups' (like all Save Map as.. and DXF import/export (and rename
>> those)
>>
> Why not. What could be nice if we group buttons is to provide default
shortcut for those that often use them.

> - merge Project New and New from Template to one 'menu group'-action
>>
>> -1 from me. New project is a normal and expected button directly under
Project menu. I don't know how the group would be called but merging anyway
adds another click (for a basic action).
Question: are there many people around using template project?

According to another thread/comment from you, if you are trying to
customize and simplify QGIS interface, isn't it easier to deal with direct
and single button from a menu than buttons within a "menu group" under a
menu? There could be a risk to end up with a sub-menu with a single item.
Hope that i'm clear :)

Regards,
Harrissou