[QGIS-Developer] Feature freeze vs the growing PR queue...

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Oct 23 23:36:31 PDT 2017

On 24-10-17 00:33, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to raise discussion about what we should do regarding the
> 100+ open PRs currently sitting in the request queue, especially with
> regards to the looming freeze.
>
> I can see two options:
>
> 1. freeze = freeze, no exceptions. But then we run the risk of people
> merging PRs and commits prematurely without full peer review just to
> get them in for 3.0 (it becomes a rush of "quick merge in whatever
> state because it's a cool feature!!). Or alternatively we may miss
> open PRs which are important (crucial?) to have in place for 3.0 (e.g.
> processing SAGA/GRASS providers, Nathan's settings migrations, etc).
>
> 2. Allow open PRs to be merged after freeze on a case-by-case basis,
> up to a suitable cut-off date (when?).

Yep, my preference would be *2* too,
in combination with further cleanup.

But I also think we need to start working on stability. I try to use
both version in daily testing/work, and QGIS3 is at this moment more
crashing to end a session, then being stopped by me :-(
So I think we really need to work/test before being able to release a
stable version....

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde