[QGIS-Developer] Standalone and OSGeo4W installers: icons and folder on desktop

Tom Chadwin tom.chadwin at nnpa.org.uk
Mon Sep 25 06:32:37 PDT 2017

Hello all

A year ago, Martin Landa raised the issue of the icons and folder which
appear on the Windows desktop when installing QGIS
(https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2016-March/041810.html).
The issues were:

- installers should not add things to a user's desktop without permission
(at least, certainly no more than a single application icon, and ideally not
even that)

- it could be a bit intimidating for a new user to be confronted with eg
GRASS/SAGA icons and the oddly-named folder

I raised a ticket (https://issues.qgis.org/issues/14463), and Juergen made a
commit to change the folder location from the user's desktop to a temp
folder (https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/changeset/1296/trunk/setup).

However, I continue to use the OSGeo4W installer, and I still get the folder
on my desktop (its name is a URL-encoded form of
http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w). I delete it each time, and each time I
run Setup again, it is recreated.

Is this because the installer has saved some config for my setup? I can
check by trying to uninstall fully and start again, but I just thought I'd
check. Do both the standalone and OSGeo4W installers now leave the desktop
alone?

Thanks

Tom

-----
Buy Pie Spy: Adventures in British pastry 2010-11 on Amazon
--
Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-f4099106.html