[QGIS-Developer] Struggling with QGIS Server 3 on a Ubuntu machine, installed from repositories

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 07:25:16 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I'm quite familiar with the installation (on both Linux and Windows)
and use of QGIS Server 2.* and in the past days I started to have a
look also to version 3.

I was able to test on Windows, but I'm struggling on Linux (Ubuntu
16.04) after having installed it from the QGIS repos.

A request like
http://localhost/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?MAP=/path/to/project.qgs&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

always return "Service unknown or unsupported".

>From the CLI

"QUERY_STRING="SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&MAP=/path/to/project.qgs"
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi

it seems to return the capabilities but ends always with

<ServiceException code="Service configuration error">Service unknown
or unsupported</ServiceException>

In logs I can see messages like

"Service WMS is not registered"

Downgrading to 2.18 and making the same requests works as expected.

Anyone has an hint for me?

thanks in advance

-- Giovanni --