[QGIS-Developer] Suggestion for improved macOS build compatibility testing

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Sat Apr 28 10:23:07 PDT 2018

Hi Matthias,

I build QGIS dependencies mostly from source. I don't use homebrew or
macports. When I started, fink was popular and very useful for the first
few months. Once I became familiar with Unix-style tools however,
building directly from source was less problematic than dealing with the
external issues in package managers.

Currently, I install Qt binaries and Kyngchaos frameworks and use
configure/make for everything else. I can document the steps. I haven't
in the past because people asking for mac builds have said they are not
developers.

After review of my build process, we can determine if it can be automated.

Tom