[QGIS-Developer] OpenCL and macOS

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 08:26:33 PDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Tom Elwertowski <telwertowski at comcast.net>
wrote:

> The directory found by CMake (/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Headers/)
> contains only .h files.
>
> The khronos site mentioned by Denis offers cl.hpp for v1 and cl2.hpp for
> v2. qgsopenclutils.h includes cl2.hpp.
>
> Should I download and try cl.hpp on my mac?

Sorry but I don't know if that will work (I'm not a mac user), what I know
is that you need cl2.hpp (note that this header supports 1.1 and 1.0) in
order to build QGIS with opencl support and you also need the opencl
library to link to.

Once you've built it, to actually run opencl stuff you need (one or more)
other runtime library that is hardware (intel, AMD, NVidia etc.) and system
dependent and it is dynamically loaded by opencl library.

> If it compiles, how can I test running it.

There are tests in the tests folder that you can build and run,
specifically: qgsninecellsfiltertest.cpp and qgsopenclutilstest.cpp

You can also open the QGIS options dialog and check under "Acceleration":
see
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/142164/43066104-08b6880e-8e64-11e8-8a46-103e368119e5.png

As you can see in the picture OpenCL supported version of that particular
library is 1.1

Let me know how it goes!

--
Alessandro Pasotti