[QGIS-Developer] Translation state of master

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 04:32:42 PDT 2018

Hi all,
I'd like to revive this discussion that did not lead to a decision at that
time (shadowed by the github/gitlab/redmine discussion).

Having recently spent time on translation and use QGIS Desktop in french
language, I'd tend to agree with the quality of translation decreasing.
This is mainly due to a lack of context as others pointed out: eg, how
would you translate "Print layout" vs "Print layout" when the first "print"
is a verb and the second is a noun? Other than checking the code (which we
can't ask translators to *often* do), it's a kind of lottery. This is a
simple example; in some context, when there are more than one candidate for
a word, the translated GUI meaning can be very different.
So what could we do to improve this?

About the registered translators not contributing, I found out (didn't
notice it in the past) that you can filter strings by user. Maybe for
coordinators there's now a way to access those information without checking
users one by one.

Regards,
Harrissou