[QGIS-Developer] epel packages gdal and spatialite

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Aug 29 01:36:58 PDT 2018

On 08/29/2018 09:47 AM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 8/29/18 9:24 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
>> Anybody aware if there is (other then nobody did it) a reason epel does
>> not contain 2.x ?
>
> ABI breaking changes are should be avoided, see:
>
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#A_major_version_update

Hi Bas,

Brrr.. I more or less understand, but RHEL7 released in 2015 (Centos 7.5
released in latest april), this means that 'we' are stuck with GDAL 1.x
for years...

While my idea of epel was that it not only provided some extra packages,
but also some more up to date packages... (like we do with
https://qgis.org/debian)

My reason for mocking about this is that I see RHEL and CentOS at a lot
of municipalities/governmental agencies etc.
And if we want for example QGIS-server to be installed in such places,
it should really be easier to install.

I do not think a separate repo would be a solution? EPEL is a
well/better established and trusted one.

I'm able to compile/install gdal myself, but am thinking here for the
more general public.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps and yes, I know Docker :-)