[QGIS-Developer] epel packages gdal and spatialite

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 29 04:28:18 PDT 2018

On 8/29/18 11:18 AM, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) wrote:
> I should add that there are already other sites providing RPM packages for
> GIS. One of them, very good and coordinate with EPEL (when possible, that's
> the case about GDAL), is Postgresql's one (originally provided by Devrim
> Gündüz who is still in the team).
> See for example:
> https://yum.postgresql.org/10/redhat/rhel-7-x86_64/repoview/
> with all the provided packages (A..W).
> It may be a good idea not to replicate this effort, but to supplement it
> with missing packages.

AFAIK, the packages in the PGDG repository are there because they're
dependencies of PostgreSQL and its extensions like PostGIS.

Adding dependencies for QGIS to that repositories doesn't sound like a
good idea to me. The goals of PGDG differ from those of QGIS.

If there is a need for newer version of the QGIS dependencies, than
those could be provided by the QGIS repository. Reviving a project like
ELGIS for RHEL 7 to suit the needs of QGIS users & developers seems like
a better idea.