[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS 2.18 EOL approaching?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Dec 27 23:45:56 PST 2018

Hi Nyall, others

On 27/12/18 22:58, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 at 18:42, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>
>> From another standpoint, we still have 102 Q3 regressions:
>> https://issues.qgis.org/projects/qgis/issues?query_id=27
>> From a quick scroll, I suspect at least some of them are not
>> particularly relevant, but a thorough analysis is needed.
>
> Yeah, a quick flick through revealed a very mixed lot -- many sound
> familiar and likely have already been fixed, some I know are still
> outstanding, and many waiting feedback for too long and should be just
> closed.

I think a triaging would be useful here to have a more accurate picture.
Anyone willing to do it and report back?

> I guess my question is (if we do delay the 2.x EOL as a result of
> these) is how many regressions are "acceptable" before EOL? We'll
> never get this to 0 -- there's been too many "by design" changes to
> make a zero regression target feasible (See obligatory xkcd ref:
> https://xkcd.com/1172/).
>
>> I'm not sure whether it will be acceptable for our users to release an
>> LTR with these regression, but this could be a way of putting pressure
>> on donors to help us fix them.
>
> Big +1 to this. If I'm being blunt, I think if a bug is a blocker to
> an organisation moving to 3.4, it's ultimately going to sit with them
> to get it fixed (or to sponsor QGIS and support the funded bug hunts).
> (Or, perhaps, in the case of regressions in features an organisation
> originally funded -- it's their responsibility to put pressure on the
> original developer they paid for the feature to fix it and protect it
> with suitable unit tests -- but that's between them and their original
> developer).

Agreed. It's a matter of communicating properly to users. We have time
to write a blog post and circulating it well before EOL.
Thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: