[QGIS-Developer] Processing Help system

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 07:53:45 PST 2018

Hi all,

For the record:
- All Processing help pull-requests have now got at least one round of
review.
- Processing help files have been renamed to match groupId so pushing any
algorithm help button should lead you at least to the page it "is"
documented. You will not always directly get the algorithm section (it
fails if name is not a single word like clip, intersection...) but I wonder
if that's really an issue given that at the top of each page we have the
TOC listing all provided algorithms --> you just need one more click.
@Richard, did you have time to investigate the id span thingies you were
referring to last day? Is it worth the effort? Could that live together
with our current .. _qgis_clip: anchor?

For me, processing help system is fixed but the help system itself is not.
It still suffers from suffers obstacles which it puts on the capacity of
the writers to update the user manual without complications: section URLs
are currently hard coded in application and changing a section title (hence
the url) breaks the help button. With a living doc like the user manual,
with all the new features and improvements QGIS gets, it would be hard to
keep same titles at same place forever (either because it no longer
describes new features of the dialog, or the dialog gets renamed, or
features are moved to another place, or we find a better, more appropriate
wording, or...) and documenters should not care about that. For information
we have pending PRs in docs that will break some of the already connected
links.

Developers improve the application, documenters improve the manuals and we
find a way to keep links working as long as possible without anyone
stressing. Please, let's do something more sustainable!
Thanks.

Regards,
Harrissou