[QGIS-Developer] Processing Help system

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 02:22:04 PST 2018

Hi,

sorry or the delay of the answer and thanks thanks thanks again
Harrissou for all the work done

> - All Processing help pull-requests have now got at least one round of
> review.

I'm rebasing all PRs to the renamed files.

> - Processing help files have been renamed to match groupId so pushing any
> algorithm help button should lead you at least to the page it "is"
> documented. You will not always directly get the algorithm section (it
> fails if name is not a single word like clip, intersection...) but I wonder
> if that's really an issue given that at the top of each page we have the
> TOC listing all provided algorithms --> you just need one more click.
> @Richard, did you have time to investigate the id span thingies you were
> referring to last day? Is it worth the effort? Could that live together
> with our current .. _qgis_clip: anchor?

even if the Help button opens the correct group page and the user needs,
sometimes, one more click to go to the correct algorithm, I think it is
a pity not having a correct section redirection.

> For me, processing help system is fixed but the help system itself is not.
> It still suffers from suffers obstacles which it puts on the capacity of
> the writers to update the user manual without complications: section URLs
> are currently hard coded in application and changing a section title (hence
> the url) breaks the help button. With a living doc like the user manual,
> with all the new features and improvements QGIS gets, it would be hard to
> keep same titles at same place forever (either because it no longer
> describes new features of the dialog, or the dialog gets renamed, or
> features are moved to another place, or we find a better, more appropriate
> wording, or...) and documenters should not care about that. For information
> we have pending PRs in docs that will break some of the already connected
> links.
>
> Developers improve the application, documenters improve the manuals and we
> find a way to keep links working as long as possible without anyone
> stressing. Please, let's do something more sustainable!

I could agree more on this. Specifically for Processing algorithms the
obstacle to have a correct header redirection is really small: as you
know it is just a hyphen handling.

The whole QGIS Help system has impressively improved and we should try
to find a way to better linking dev and doc writer jobs.

Maybe we can have a session on this in Madeira

Thanks

Matteo