[QGIS-Developer] Concerns re UX of new "duplicate features" actions in 2.99

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 12:25:24 PST 2018

On 22 February 2018 at 06:20, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
> On 02/21/2018 08:55 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>> On 22 February 2018 at 05:24, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>>> Hi Dave, hi Nyall,
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your thoughts and work on this. The approach that is
>>> currently being developed sounds like a very reasonable one given the
>>> remaining time for 3.0.
>>>
>> In the meantime, I'd like to merge that PR. 3.0 is only a couple of
>> hours away and it makes me very nervous having this feature exposed
>> still. Can I merge, and then we can address whether to remove the flag
>> when the changes have landed?
>
> I don't know enough about it myself, I only followed this topic marginally.
>
> It would be good to get the green flag for it from Dave and Andreas if
> somehow possible.

Yes, ideally... but also (with full respect to all involved), in its
current form this feature is just too dangerous to have in the
release. I would not feel comfortable at all in rolling out 3.0 in my
customer's organizations with the knowledge that a single accidental
slip of the mouse can permanently damage a non-editable layer.

That's why I would greatly prefer to hide it now, and then un-hide if
the issues are resolved before release.

"Better safe than sorry" and all that :)

Nyall