[QGIS-Developer] Concerns re UX of new "duplicate features" actions in 2.99

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 12:30:25 PST 2018

On 22 February 2018 at 00:55, David Signer <david at opengis.ch> wrote:

> We could keep it as an Action, only enabled when the layer is editable.
> This would include an attribute of MapLayerAction, if it should be enabled
> only in editable mode or always (first case for the duplication-action). The
> user actions would need such a attribute as well.
> Probably we could integrate this attribute as another scope-value, and use
> the scopes as well for the MapLayerActions.
> Then we need to decide on what scopes it should be displayed:
> - Canvas (in the main toolbar)
> - Layer (in the toolbar of attribute list)
> - Feature (in the actions of attribute form, right click on a feature in the
> form view, right click on the feature on canvas)
> - Field (right click on a field in row of attribute table, right click on
> field at identify result panel)

Hiding the action everywhere when a layer is non-editable is a good
move. I'd also like to see it completely removed (regardless of
editable status) from:

1. The identify results right click menu and results tree view (I
think that all actions with a "only show in editable mode" flag should
be skipped from these places - the identify tool is typically a "view"
tool, not an edit tool)
2. The menu bar in the attribute form dialog (at least for newly
created features)

Thanks for your responsiveness on this!

Nyall