[QGIS-Developer] Concerns re UX of new "duplicate features" actions in 2.99

David Signer david at opengis.ch
Wed Feb 21 13:15:50 PST 2018

Hi Nyall

It's okay for me, when you merge it to be save and we remove it, when the issue is resolved.

But I'll remove the part that the duplicate functions toggles the edit mode anyway.
So in case there will be still the action to duplicate on a not editable layer somewhere (what it shouldn't) it won't damage the layer.

Thanks and regards
Dave

> On 22 February 2018 at 06:20, Matthias Kuhn  wrote:
>  > On 02/21/2018 08:55 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>  >> On 22 February 2018 at 05:24, Matthias Kuhn  wrote:
>  >>> Hi Dave, hi Nyall,
>  >>>
>  >>> Thanks for all your thoughts and work on this. The approach that is
>  >>> currently being developed sounds like a very reasonable one given the
>  >>> remaining time for 3.0.
>  >>>
>  >> In the meantime, I'd like to merge that PR. 3.0 is only a couple of
>  >> hours away and it makes me very nervous having this feature exposed
>  >> still. Can I merge, and then we can address whether to remove the flag
>  >> when the changes have landed?
>  >
>  > I don't know enough about it myself, I only followed this topic marginally.
>  >
>  > It would be good to get the green flag for it from Dave and Andreas if
>  > somehow possible.
>
>  Yes, ideally... but also (with full respect to all involved), in its
>  current form this feature is just too dangerous to have in the
>  release. I would not feel comfortable at all in rolling out 3.0 in my
>  customer's organizations with the knowledge that a single accidental
>  slip of the mouse can permanently damage a non-editable layer.
>
>  That's why I would greatly prefer to hide it now, and then un-hide if
>  the issues are resolved before release.
>
>  "Better safe than sorry" and all that :)
>
>  Nyall

David Signer

Programmer OPENGIS.CH

Wülflingerstrasse 213