[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3.0 Soft Feature Freeze

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 16:34:45 PST 2018

> Ok, let me re-word option 2 as:
>
> "2. Carefully manage release expectations, with detailed explanations
> of known issues and regressions in the release notes. Stress in press
> releases/release notes that 3.0 is a new major release and that the
> QGIS team do not consider it a suitable replacement for the current
> stable LTR release, and that it is highly recommended that
> organisations do not replace their existing QGIS 2.x installations
> before careful in-house testing and evaluation of its suitability for
> their workplace. The next stable LTR QGIS release will be QGIS 3.2."

I agree on release asap knowing it might not be the most stable release
ever.
But, I would make sure
* we have a serious effort on bugfixing prior to the release and following
it
* we do not release with severe AND prominent known issue
* we have a shorter dot release cycle (maybe once a week or switch to
nightly builds) to avoid waiting too long for fixes

Best regards,
Denis