[QGIS-Developer] Where do we sit with respect to release?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Jan 9 02:18:56 PST 2018

Hi Régis

We have discussed beta versions many times through the years and consensus is always not to make a beta. We have nightly builds and an overloaded release manager, lets keep things simple and follow regular procedures as much as possible.

We discussed this (conveying to our users that the 3.0.0 may not be the most stable software on the planet) last night at the PSC meeting and our recommendation is that we will tweak the splash to include a message that this is an early version with a lot of big changes, use only after testing (Anita will come up with better wording). In a subsequent bug fix release (e.g. 3.0.x) we can remove that message from the splash. We felt this was the highest visibility way to message this to our users on all platforms regardless of the installation mode.

Also for the bug fixing, lets give it a full month - there are a lot of other things that need to happen - like giving plugin authors time to port their work now that the API is fixed, getting the release visual changelog written, fixing bugs, packing for Mac etc.

I’d also like to suggest that we move to using loomio more when an unequivocal decision is needed on these things so that we can all be clear on what was decided.

Regards

Tim

> On 09 Jan 2018, at 11:37, Régis Haubourg <regis.haubourg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> @Bernd, I don't want to open any can of worm :) . Reading again the discussion where you ask for it, I realize that no decision was taken on that BETA branding.
>
> @Borys, thanks for the pointer. I'll see if Paul is available to merge that.
>
> Régis

> On wtorek, 9 stycznia 2018 08:55:22 CET Régis Haubourg wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > given the small impacts and the benefit of emptying the PR queue, can we go
> > for a merge of https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5663 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5663> (named transactions
> > in executeSQL)?
> > I know we voted to not add it in the freeze exemptions, but that was in the
> > target of keeping a release date in end 2017. Now that time is passing, and
> > the hypothesis of a QGIS 3.0 "beta" being advertised, I think we should
> > have it in the release.
>
> A small correction: we definitely voted to add it (11:2), just Paul was opposed.
>
> https://www.loomio.org/p/EnrX0paG/-5663-add-a-name-for-transactions-created-from-executesql <https://www.loomio.org/p/EnrX0paG/-5663-add-a-name-for-transactions-created-from-executesql>
>
> Regards,
> Borys

—