[QGIS-Developer] Fresh QGIS3 misses all kind of 'default' options on first start

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Wed Jan 10 04:37:53 PST 2018

Hi Richard,

Good point!

We have in QGIS3 a new qgis_global_settings.ini file where we can put
global default settings. These global settings can be override later by
the users.

I think we need to start populating this file with reasonable settings.

You might suggest some of those settings to start with.

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

On 10-01-2018 11:53, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> Currently if you start QGIS3 for the first time, all kind of default
> options (from the Options Dialog) are not yet 'saved' to QgsSettings().
>
> To test:
> - remove ~/.share/local/QGIS
> - start QGIS
> - choose 'I want a clean start. Don't import my QGIS 2 settings.'
>
> Now in Python console type:
>
> QgsSettings().value( "help/helpSearchPath" )
> which will return an emtpy list (of search paths)
>
> Open Settings/Options/System properties and see there is:
> https://docs.qgis.org/$qgis_short_version/$qgis_locale/docs/user_manual/
> in Documentation paths there.
>
> NOW click OK and

> ['https://docs.qgis.org/$qgis_short_version/$qgis_locale/docs/user_manual/']
>
> So Question: is there a way to 'silently' save all those options for a
> fresh user? I'm not so familiar with how those dialogs are constructed,
> so can we 'submit' all tabs in one? Or should we submit them one by one?
>
> Ah, it appears that clicking OK once from whatever tab will 'save' (at
> least this path) to QgsSettings()...
>
> Otherwise, current situation will be that a new user upon clicking
> any(!) help button will always be shown with the daft "Oops! QGIS help
> is currently not available. This is likely because: ... " message.
>
> See also:
>
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17670
>
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17598
>
> Regards,