[QGIS-Developer] Shouldn't $area return values in the measument units of the project

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 07:03:22 PST 2018

Hi,

I am fighting this again. Looking at the $area function description it says:

"Returns the area of the current feature. The area calculated by this
function respects both the current project's ellipsoid setting and area
unit settings. For example, if an ellipsoid has been set for the project
then the calculated area will be ellipsoidal, and if no ellipsoid is set
then the calculated area will be planimetric."

But whatever I do in the project properties, $area always returns me the
results in the same unit, the layer's units. But if I check the measurement
tools and the derived area in the feature identify results, the values are
converted to the unit I have chosen.

The project and the layer are at the same CRS which is in feet.

What is wrong?
- the $area function?
- It's description?
- Or me?